Tangential Cutting not working + problems with DXF import

Meffe

Tangential Cutting not working + problems with DXF import

Post by Meffe » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Hello,
prior to buy the motion controller, I am trying the software and it seems like I have some understanding problems. I'm new to CNC but do have a very good understanding of CAD. The settings is "out of the box" - I just installed it and enabled tangential knife in the technology cfg section.

In reference to this video:

youtu.be/gU8MtJpsN8o

I tried to make a simple tangential cut simulation and i failed.
  • When I import DXF files, the preview in the loading area is correct. Once it is imported it is messed up. Some lines are somewhere in the room and not in correct position.
  • Once I have a correct import, the tangential knife function is not working (while enabled in the technology cfg section). I can neither switch to T2 or T3.
  • I also tried to enable the C axis and disable the A / B axis, because for tangential knife function in XYZ and C this would be the correct settings in my understanding.
Here is my video to the problems:

youtu.be/uXcc_twe_fY

Maybe you can help me to solve my fundamental understanding issues and direct me to the correct path :)

Many thanks!
Meffe

mycnc

Re: Tangential Cutting not working + problems with DXF import

Post by mycnc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:44 pm

1) Need to look at your DXF file to tell why one line disappeared.

2) Command to switch current Tool number is not implemented in the simulator. You need the control board to get it working

3) Some of "low-level" settings cannot be changed on-the-fly. I suppose you need to restart the software after you change A/B/C axes enabled/disabled checkbox.

If you post here your DXF files, I can show how it works with a controller connected.

Meffe

Post by Meffe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:46 am

Thank you for your support and clarification!

After a lot of tries I realized, that the export function of Inventor from 3D Sketch has issues. Inventor is putting some lines into a layer, and does not consider this layer while exporting. Clever play Inventor... Once I create a drawing from the 3D and export the drawing view frame, it has no problem and every line is visible.

Nevertheless, here the DXF files: https://whitespeaker.com/dxf/exampleFil ... lKnife.dxf

Thank you for the clarification, that the simulation w/o controller is not switching the current tool.

Am I wrong, with my assumption that I should enable XYZ and C?

It would be great if you could show also the settings of the axis and other relevant settings for tangential knife if I missed something else.
In example: If I have only the C-Axis next to XYZ, how do I configure if the center of the tool is 5mm off in X direction (when C is at 0°)? Does I have to use the 5-axis RTCP or do I do that with the tool settings (Offset X) and turn off the RTCP function?

As you see on the video, it is not working after the restart of the software with enabled XYZ and C-Axis. Or is this also tool number relevant which will not be shown w/o control board?

youtu.be/sl6eUsLopOg

Many thanks again!

mycnc

Post by mycnc » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:56 pm

1) You can have all axes enabled, but in this case, make sure all unused axes (AB) coordinates are 0. Otherwise, a red arrow showing the current position will show a wrong place.

If you disable axes, its position reset. It's a good way to disable axes you don't use. XYZC axes enabled is a correct choice.

2) For Tangential knife control, we assume a knife tip is in the centre of C-axis rotation.
You might need special CAM to generate codes for different type knives.

3) "Tilt" checkbox should be enabled to get correct visualisation of tangential knife
mycnc-visualisation-tilt-01.png

Meffe

Post by Meffe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:49 pm

With your settings it is working well in the myCNC simulation, even without the controller! THANK YOU!

My knife tip is in the center of the C-Axis. It was just interesting to know, if the software could handle an off situation too.

Here the final solution and thank you again for your support! I really appreciate it!

youtu.be/mEg_S_jOg88

mycnc

Post by mycnc » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:49 pm

As I told, tool number switching does not work under Simulator. If Tangential Knife support enabled in settings dialog without tool switch, it should work under simulator.
Meffe wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:49 pm
My knife tip is in the center of the C-Axis. It was just interesting to know, if the software could handle an off situation too.
We added most of the features according to customer enquiries. We will think about the implementation of this knife if some of our partners need it.

By the way, G0 rapid motion is not implemented in the simulator as well. That's why you see the knife rotated instantly on 90-degree corners. The motion is correct with the control board connected.