ATC and tool change, racks and pots, etc.

vali_ile

ATC and tool change, racks and pots, etc.

Post by vali_ile »

Hi, Ivan

Ask for some patience from you - this is a long post.

Due to a longer Z axis I would prefere to have two stacked linear racks along X-axis (with different Y and Z for each one) instead of the only one I've found in documentation (kind of, but not exactly that ATC pots function in development you have).

Or how can it be attached a specific X-Y-Z-A/B to each position og the rack and pass it to the tool at the moment of loading it in the rack? This make me to prefer to have a specific device on the machine table where I can put a tool and ask to the machine to put it in a specific fork in the rack. To be more specific, I use HSK tools, so fork it is :)

How can be defined fixed positions in the ATC in macros and reassign that specific position to a specific tool instead of actual simple unloading the tool in its initial position, but dependent of puting by hand tools in those specific position ? The idea is to use some positions for tools with large diameter and other positions for slender tools, using as an identifier either the specified tool diameter or a label as a QR-code attached on every tool holder.

In this way, for a finite number of positions in ATC, but more tools than that necessary to do a job, could be generated a G-code with a pause moment to "adjust" the tools in the ATC by unloading specific used tools, but not necessary anymore with other tools from the list to continue the job. So, for example, to complete a job with 17 tools in G-code, but only 8 positions in ATC and only 5 common tools from the begining till the end will need, depending on the order of operations, 2 to 5 moments of "pause" to unload/load/reload tools in ATC.

Is it possible to use a database with the positions of tools in X-Y-Z-A/B coordinates in such a manner that this database also be used as a way to identify the tools with a QR-code for the assigned position into the rack and also for loading its new values after a sharpening and to check it with the multiple tool setter (as in 5-axis machining) for length and diameter to set the RTCP?

I would like to have an external database to pass the information (ODBC or else) between CAM software, myCNC controller and the company which sharpen my tools (who attached a file with the high-precision measurements and even the specific profile of the tool after each resharpening as a .dxf usable inside the CAM_software). In this manner, any number of tools could be kept in check - CAM software could auto select the adequate tool from the database with active and sharpen tools in stock, issues a list of tools to be loaded in the ATC prior to start the specific job and a list of tools to be unloaded after the job, myCNC can issue a list of possible broken tools to be checked by operator, respectively to be marked as still valid for other jobs or to be sent to resharpening and marked as out of ATC, and also can be generated a list of tools for resharpening (even with specific isssues (as in changing the profile or a brazed milling heads or an insert) to manage the delivery by courier, in and out of inventory. And this is not a sofisticated DB, just some fields to keep informations and updating a XML file for each tool.

How could be done such an idea? If it is not possible direct conection to DB, I prefer to dinamically generate macros with adequate code containing vaues read from DB in a simple text file. But I don't know how to pass it to myCNC either.

mycnc

Re: ATC and tool change, racks and pots, etc.

Post by mycnc »

vali_ile wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:01 pm
How could be done such an idea?
A very rough estimation.
This idea can be done by a small software engineers team (2-3 person) within 4-12 month.
The labour cost will be at least a few hundred thousands USD.
Do you have financing for such a job?

vali_ile

Post by vali_ile »

Hi, Ivan

Thanks for reply.

LoL - for "a few hundred thousands USD" I'd buy a machine with all headaches solved. But I only have few thousands and the wishes.

It seems that I've not been clear in expressing my idea.

The main question was : Can it be attached a specific X-Y-Z-A/B to each position on the rack now - inside the myCNC_controller coordinates for linear ATC - in order to manage the addressing to load and unload tools with M06? Because sometimes I would want to unload the tool at a different address than the initial loading address and I want to do that by specifying in the Gcode various Mxxx code.

The rest of the post was simply an idea.

ivan

Post by ivan »

I'm afraid the parent comment wasn't me, but I just wanted to jump in to clarify some things.

About the high price tag - R&D will, unfortunately, always cost more than buying a ready-to-go product off the shelf, that's just the nature of the beast I'm afraid.

As for your question, the myCNC software has registers #6121 (+6), #6131 (+6), #6141 (+6) etc, which specify the positions of up to 40 toolholders. So the registers are there, and you can use some sort of a PLC procedure to change the position for each toolholder. What that PLC/macro will look like, I am not quite sure - this is the first time something like this has been requested.

You're welcome to use the PLC builder to try and write some sort of a sample procedure, although it might become fairly complex fairly quickly. Best of luck!